- TV News -'The Morning Show' Season 1 Recap You Need Before Starting Season 2
It's been two years since The Morning Show first premiered on Apple TV+, so you'd be forgiven if you forgot, well, everything that happened in the first 10 episodes of the series. So, before you dive into the Season 2 premiere on Friday, Sept. 17, here are all The Morning Show Season 1 essentials you need to know.
First, a quick recap. The Morning Show begins with Mitch Kessler (Steve Carell), a longtime morning show anchor, getting fired after an explosive report of sexual assault and harassment allegations behind-the-scenes hits the press. This leaves his co-host, Alex Levy (Jennifer Aniston) desperate. Not only has she lost her longtime ally and partner on the show, she's now desperate to regain control of the show she already felt she was being pushed out of. Add in a new network president, Cory Ellison (Billy Crudup), whose all about redefining UBA, and a chaotic local news anchor, Bradley Jackson (Reese Witherspoon), and you've got yourself a show.
Alex hires Bradley as her co-host on a whim and decides that she's going to use her power as the face of The Morning Show to exert more control behind the scenes, but Bradley isn't necessarily going to play along. So, when Mitch offers Bradley a tell all interview on The Morning Show, in which he promises to name the higher ups who covered up for him, she agrees. Her first stop: Hannah Shoenfeld (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), a booker for The Morning Show, who was sexually assaulted by Mitch months earlier. With her name about to be leaked to the press, Hannah is reluctant to talk. She wants to forget it ever happened, but she's backed into a corner, so she tells Bradley her story and claims that she when she reported it to the CEO of the network, Fred Micklen (Tom Irwin), he offered her a promotion.
In the season finale, Hannah died by suicide, and the news pushed Alex to her breaking point. In the final moments of Season 1, she and Bradley went off-script on air to expose The Morning Show, UBA, and Fred, publicly accusing them of fostering hostile work environments and being complicit in Mich's crimes.
Other lose ends include:
- Weatherman Yanko Flores (Nestor Carbonell) and his much younger girlfriend/co-worker Claire (Bel Powley) broke up because of all the scrutiny and questions surrounding workplace relationships.
- Alex's longtime producer Chip (Mark Duplass), who was fired, revealed he was the one who leaked the Mich Kessler story in the first place because the network was talking about replacing Alex, and he wanted to save her job.
- Daniel (Desean Terry), the only black anchor at The Morning Show, turned down a prime anchor spot at a rival network because Alex promised him she was going to fire Bradley and have him host the show with her. But, that was before she called out the network on camera.
- Mia Jordan (Karen Pittman) stepped up to produce the show, but is worried that she, too, will be publicly named as one of Mitch's victims.
- Reporter Maggie Brener (Marcia Gay Harden) is looking into the scandal and how far up it went at the network.
Questions Going Into Season 2:
- Will Fred and UBA be held accountable?
- How complicit was Alex in covering up or excusing Mitch's workplace harassment?
- Will Bradley and Alex stay as hosts of The Morning Show?
- Is Mitch going to be able to salvage his career? And do we care?
Congratulations! You are now all caught up and ready to start Season 2 of The Morning Show. May you enjoy fast-paced dialogue and Jennifer Aniston's excellent wardrobe.
Image: Apple TV+