- Sex and the City -Is This Carrie's Most Embarrassing Tech Fail In All Of 'Sex And The City' History?
The more things change the more they remain the same — that's the saying right? It has never rang more true than when watching the new episodes of the Sex and the City reboot. Yes, there are new (and progressive/evolved) characters saddling up next to our OG characters who seem more antiquated than the bisexuality plot line in the original series. And that's all great. But then you're reminded of how much things remain true to the original — specifically when it comes to how technologically-challenged Carrie Bradshaw is.
Allow me to set the scene. In Episode 3 of And Just Like That..., "When In Rome...", Carrie struggles with the loss of Big and discovers she may not have known him as well as she thought she did. (She did know him, but was just triggered by him leaving "Don't Hate Me" money to Natasha.) Along the way down in this spiral, she finds a phone number in one of Big's jacket pockets. Suspicious of this — and the secrets that it may mean he was keeping from her — she calls it. In the middle of the night. And lo and behold, that phone number is... drum roll please... her own landline.
Carrie Bradshaw, podcast queen and iPhone to Android user in two episodes, doesn't know her own phone number.
Since it's been a while, allow me to remind you that Carrie hates technology. (And maybe this is why she took her sweet time calling 911 when she found Big in Episode 1.) There have been many tech fails over the course of the original series, but not knowing the phone number to her own apartment is, in my opinion, one of her most (if not the most) embarrassing tech blunders the protagonist has made over the years.
Including but not limited to...
- That time Carrie never backed up her work (once) and her computer crashed
- That time Carrie asked Miranda "Can he see me?" when Aiden was online on AIM
- That time Carrie learned what Google was when she searched "Aleksandr Petrovsky"
- That time she couldn't remember her email password and thus didn't know Big was emailing her every single day after their botched wedding
- That time (or all the times) Carries uses a payphone
- That time (or all the times) Carrie doesn't have a cell phone
- That time she tells Louise from St. Louis that she "can barely text"
- That time Carrie doesn't know how to use an iPhone before her wedding
I'm not going to get into why I think it's absurd Big carried around his phone number versus just programming it into his phone, because I don't want to speak ill of the dead. But Carrie is very much alive. And to still have a landline suggests that you use it for some God forsaken reason. And I'm not here to tell you that's a waste of your money (especially Carrie, for whom money is no problem). But if you're gonna have a landline, at least know your own number, Carrie. Invest in yourself, I beg of thee.