- The Bachelor -The 'Bachelorette' Men Sacrificed The Virgin
There's a common trope in the horror movie genre called "the final girl," the last one standing against the slasher who has killed all of the morally impure friends. Usually, it's a virgin (see: Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, Friday the 13th). It's antiquated and misogynistic and the complete opposite of what happened on Week 3 of The Bachelorette. Because instead of putting forth their most "morally corrupt," the Bachelorette men sacrificed Mike, the virgin.
We knew this season was going to be different. The tagline was a vibrator innuendo, after all. (Also, there really was nowhere to go but up after Matt James' season.) But to see The Bachelorette franchise completely flip the script on a dated trope that plagues Hollywood is inspiring and exactly the change we want to see in the franchise. This is what we've been waiting for, you guys.
Here's how it went down...
- Mike was given a rose... (kudos my man!): Nothing to see here, except that prior to Katie calling on Mike P., he had been waxing poetic about how it's the man's responsibility to make Katie feel "safe and secure," so he was either about to fight to the death via sword or say something. He went with the latter, albeit the more boring option.
- He then used the collective "we": We love to see it, don't we? Hard to take all the heat if you say it's a "we" thing.
- Then he dragged the shit out of Karl: "We feel, as a unit, it's our job to protect your heart, and we've come together in solidarity that we think that, unfortunately, what Karl said wasn't the truth, and that's — as a unit — we really feel that's what you need to hear."
- He closed with opening his body up to The Boys: Just in case Katie didn't remember this was a "we" thing.
Was using Mike P. as the whistleblower strategic on the contestants' part? Sure was! Who is going to come after the virgin for being a narc after he just cried about how uncomfortable he was during the group sex date — wait, the sex-themed group date? Yeah, that's it. Now, had the guy that dressed up as a cat and later confessed to cheating on his girlfriend done it... that would have been a tougher sell.
Anyway, Karl went home so the men's effort to organize was successful. Not sure when they met, where they met, and who brought snacks, but it worked and we no longer have to deal with a bad shit-stirrer. Be a good one, if you're gonna be one at all, Karl. Mention it all.