Premium- The Bachelor -Everything Rachel Lindsay Has Said About Rachael Kirkconnell
I think it's fair to say that everything Rachel Lindsay has said about Rachael Kirkconnell has been pretty generous. As controversies and allegations against Rachael have popped up, Lindsay has been pretty diplomatic. Even when photos first emerged of Rachael attending an Antebellum-themed party in 2018, Lindsay was willing to wait for Kirkconnell to speak out before commenting, telling Bustle on Feb. 8 that she would "100% address it" when the time was right. (It's hard to believe, but, back then fans still expected Kirkconnell to speak of her own accord, and Lindsay even expected she might have the controversial contestant on her Bachelor Happy Hour podcast.)
Here's what Lindsay has said about Kirkconnell over the past couple of months.
- When she first saw the antebellum party photos: "We don't know how far Rachael makes it. [But] we know that Matt really is into her and told her he's falling in love with her. [So] the fact that this information is out there, whether it's true or not, it needs to be addressed for Matt's sake." (Bustle interview; Feb. 8, 2021)
Lindsay repeatedly called on Kirkconnell to address the controversies on social media early on. Reality Steve alleged that Kirkconnell was not being permitted to address the issue by production; something Lindsay refuted during her now infamous Feb. 9 Extra interview with Chris Harrison.
- On Rachael's continued silence after the photo leak: "If it were me, and my name was being attached to something that wasn't true, I would be coming out and [denying it]." (Extra interview with Chris Harrison; Feb. 9, 2021)
- On the antebellum party photos: "It's not a good look ever because she's celebrating the Old South... If I went to that party, what would I represent at that party?" (Extra interview with Chris Harrison; Feb. 9, 2021)
The Extra interview resulted in multiple Instagram apologies, Harrison stepping down from the franchise, and, finally, a statement from Kirkconnell. Though Lindsay deemed the apology sound, for her it was just too little, too late.
- Her first reaction to Rachael's apology: "It's great that she apologized. It's great that she finally said something. I would like to remind everybody that an apology is a step, a baby step, in the right direction. But it's just an apology. We gotta see it. Now I'm holding you to what you said... I'm going to be honest though, the other side of me doesn't care. It took you six weeks to address something that's been festering." (Higher Learning podcast; Feb. 11, 2021)
- On Rachael's apology and follow through: "Her apology was well-written, it was pretty, it was sincere — I'm not going to knock anyone's apology. But then the next step is to take action. Taking action to me isn't showing everybody that you're reading the book." (Bachelor Party Podcast; Feb. 22, 2021)
Lindsay has continued to call on Kirkconnell to be more active following her apology, and called her out for, essentially, trying to be an influencer and an anti-racist at the same time when Kirkconnell shared a photo of a matcha tea on her Instagram Stories with Uncomfortable Conversations With A Black Man strategically placed in the background.