- Grey's Anatomy -Will 'Grey's Anatomy' End After Season 17? Here's What The Cast & Crew Have Said
We all know Grey's and we all love Grey's. That's a given. But it's hard to feel like you're not watching a long-running show take its final breath when tuning into this season on ABC. Due to COVID, the once Ellen Pompeo-led show has faced just as much uncertainty as just about any doctor that walks through the doors of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. So the question of whether Grey's Anatomy will end after Season 17 isn't too far-fetched.
While the show still awaits its renewal (or cancellation), we've decided to pull together what the cast and crew have said about the show's potential return for an 18th season.
One thing is for sure, though, Pompeo certainly seems to be on her way out. The actress has heroically led the show through many ups and downs, and has spent the entire current season on a ventilator (and on death beach). And she's not exactly instilling hope when it comes to Meredith's Season 18 return. Let's start there...
- “We don’t know when the show is really ending yet. But the truth is, this year could be it ... This is the last year of my contract right now. I don’t know that this is the last year? But it could very well could be.” - Ellen Pompeo, Variety, Oct. 2020
- "This show is better this year than ever. And this was supposed to be our last year ... But… I’m not sure. I think it could keep going.” - Debbie Allen, SiriusXM’s Radio Andy, Nov. 2020
- "I know from a creative standpoint there have been many 'This is how the season would end' conversations and then they all end up [not happening] because of a myriad of reasons. Because the network's not ready, the studio's not ready, the fanbase isn't ready, the numbers are too good, all of those things ... Collectively, they've decided we're not going to put an end on it. We're just going to wait and see." - Chandra Wilson, Entertainment Tonight, Dec. 2020
- "To end a show this iconic, you know, how do we do it? I just want to make sure we do this character and this show and the fans – I want to make sure we do it right." - Ellen Pompeo, CBS News, Feb. 2021
- "I think the show is too important to go out without a damn parade ... Without us really knowing and having a real finale season where these writers are so overworked and depressed and in a rat race to try and get material out without all this uncertainty, that’s not the ideal scenario." - Jesse Williams, Entertainment Tonight, Feb. 2021
- "I'm planning a season and a finale that could function as either a season finale or a series finale ... I'm planning for both contingencies and it's hard and it's not ideal. It's not where I wish we were." - showrunner Krista Vernoff, The Hollywood Reporter, March 2021
What do you think about the future of Grey's Anatomy? Can the show live on without Meredith Grey? Head on over to our comments and tell us how you think the season (or series) should end.